It is a popular dish in South Asian cuisine, typically made by cooking basmati rice with chicken, spices, and often saffron or other flavorful ingredients. It is typically served with raita, a yogurt-based sauce, and can be garnished with nuts or herbs. Biryani can be made in many different styles and variations, with different types of meat or vegetables and different combinations of spices. Some popular regional variations include Muradabadi and Hyderabadi biryani.
Here is a basic recipe for making chicken biryani at home:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup cashews or almonds (optional)
- Fresh cilantro or mint, for garnish
- Heat ghee or oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, until browned.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder and stir to coat the chicken. Cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth or water and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- If using raisins or nuts, add them in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro or mint and serve with raita.
CHICKEN BUTTER MASALA RECIPE – SEE NOW
This is a basic recipe, you can adjust the spices and add more vegetables as per your preference.