Chicken Tikka Masala is a popular dish in Indian cuisine, some say that it originated in the UK.
It is made with marinated chunks of chicken that are grilled or broiled and then cooked in a creamy, tomato-based sauce. The dish is typically seasoned with a variety of spices, including cumin, coriander, ginger, and garam masala. It is often served over rice and garnished with fresh cilantro.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, red pepper, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and any marinade to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Note: This is a basic recipe, feel free to adjust the amount of spices and cream as per your taste.