It is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that consists of spinach and paneer (a type of Indian cottage cheese) cooked in a spicy tomato-based sauce. It is typically served with rice or Indian bread such as naan or roti. It is considered a healthy dish as it is rich in vitamins and minerals from spinach and protein from paneer.
Palak Paneer Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 lb spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup paneer, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle, add the chopped onions and fry until they turn translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry until they turn mushy.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder, and fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped spinach and fry until it wilts.
- Add 1 cup of water and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the spinach is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Blend the spinach mixture in a blender until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Heat the pan again and add butter (optional), pour the spinach paste, and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cubed paneer and salt to taste, and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly, add cream (optional) and give it a quick stir.
- Serve with rice or Indian bread such as naan or roti.