It is a popular dish from the Indian subcontinent, made with chickpeas (chana) and a spicy tomato-based sauce. It is typically seasoned with a variety of spices, including cumin, coriander, and garam masala. It can be served with rice or bread, such as naan or roti.
Chana Masala Recipe:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add garlic and ginger, and sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add the soaked and drained chickpeas and enough water to cover the chickpeas. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the chickpeas are tender.
- Add garam masala powder and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with rice or bread of your choice.
Note: You can use canned chickpeas instead of dried chickpeas if you prefer, but reduce the cooking time accordingly.