It is a popular Indian dish made with chicken cooked in a kadhai, which is a type of wok, with a blend of spices. Tomatoes, onions, ginger, and garlic are often used as base ingredients and a variety of spices such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric are added to give it a distinct flavor. It is typically served with rice or naan bread.
Kadhai Chicken Recipe:
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 2 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to crackle, add chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green chili, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Cook until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well with the masala. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add heavy cream (if using) and stir until the sauce thickens and the chicken is well coated.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with rice or naan bread.
Note: You can adjust the amount of spices to suit your taste. You can also add some bell peppers for additional flavor and color.